Monday, October 20, 2014

Duped By The Fit & The Bit......

I realize my blog is 99% about JoJo & this is the forum in which I like to share our lives with you.....however there are times in which things happen when JoJo is not with me & I have an uncontrollable need to share those things with you!

Now, as most of you know I've been cranky as all hell for the past many many months about the gaining of some unwelcome weight.  So I decided I needed a little assistance/push to help me evict said weight.

Enter the Fitbit.  A clever little bracelet that monitors the steps you take each day, every day, for as long as you let it.  It comes in colors & your information can be sent directly to your phone so if you have OCD like me, you can look every 3 seconds via the app to see just how many more steps you've taken in those 3 seconds since you last checked!

It does other things like track the intake of food you're consuming but you have to manually enter all that stuff in & truthfully my ADD beat out my OCD leaving me with zero interest in entering anything.

So the whole idea, or at least one of the ideas, is to make sure you're walking/stepping 10,000 steps a day.  Cool right?

After developing a crush on my Fitbit I had a remedial Fitbit question which I posed to Ash:  "If the Fitbit is a bracelet & it monitors my steps, how exactly is it monitoring my steps from my wrist?"  So we have this whole discussion on how people walk & how they probably swing their arms which makes us immediately stand up & start walking to see what we do w/our arms when we walk (sure enough, we swing them) & then we had to do the moving ONLY of the arms without walking to see if it tracked our ONLY swinging arms as steps.  I was a little bit fit to be tied!  (Get it?  I used Fitbit in that sentence but reversed it.  Get it?)

Truthfully I was pissed off.  What the F?  So you mean to tell me if I'm sitting at my desk & I reach to answer the phone but do not move my feet, it tracks that as a step??????   How about when I'm sitting eating a pint (yes, an ENTIRE pint, they are unit dose servings people) of Ben & Jerry's ice cream & each time I bring the spoon to my mouth it counts as a step?????  This is NOT good.  Not good at all.

The event which prompted the fit I had on my Fitbit was horseback riding. 

Setting the scene up for you:  beautiful day, temperature is perfect for the 60 minute trail ride we have ahead of us.  Chatting away w/the lead woman on the horse in front of me, all is well.  And somewhere within those 60 minutes of trail riding (close to 45 minutes into it), of which I am SITTING on top of a horse......not standing on the horses back, not jumping on the horses back, not doing leg lifts while on the horse, not running along side the horse......the not-so-clever Fitbit starts beeping that I have reached the 10,000 steps taken goal!!

ARE YOU FRIGGIN KIDDING ME?

Had I not been on a horse I would have ripped that stupid, wrist wearing, incorrect step counting, piece of crap beeping bracelet from my wrist & STOMPED the heck out of it prompting a TRUE 10,000 step/stomp obtained goal!

Next time I'm heading to the freezer for a pint of Ben & Jerry's ice cream I'll be sure to manually count how many steps it takes me to get there.


No comments:

Post a Comment